Organization: Room to Read
Apply By: 20 Nov 2022
erms of Reference (ToR)
QUARTERLY PERIODICAL FOR girls Education PROGRAM – Gupshup, 2022
ROOM TO READ India
PURPOSE of hiring Consultant
About Room to Read:
Room to Read (RtR) envisions a world in which all children can pursue a quality education, reach their full potential and contribute to their community and the world. To achieve this goal, RtR focuses on two areas where we believe we can have the greatest impact: Literacy and Gender equality through education in collaboration with communities and local governments across Asia and Africa.
Room to Read’s Girls Education Program (GEP) was launched in 2000 to promote gender equality in education and support girls to complete secondary school with the necessary life skills to negotiate key life decisions. GEP has been operational in India since 2004 and currently works in 7 states supporting the state governments where female literacy rate and gender gap in literacy is below the national average. To achieve this goal we provide long term educational support to girls averaging a period of 6 years which includes material support, academic support, Life Skill education and mentoring. So far RtR has supported the education of more than 15000 girls. Room to Read partners with organisations- working on the ground- for the execution of program, leveraging resources and skills, and develop a large base of stakeholders towards building ownership of the program.
About the Assignment:
GupShup is a Hindi periodical for adolescent boys and girls in the ages of 11-18. It is an interactive reading material with an aim to foster and encourage reading as a habit and life long passion. It covers a range of topics from current affairs to sports, news, views, stories, historical facts, interesting anecdotes, health tips, great achievers and role models and a section dedicated to contributions from children.
The Girls’ Education Program aims to publish 4 such periodicals (junior and senior version) in a year. Although the GEP is a program specifically designed for girls, this periodical is designed for girls and boys both– their reading and engagement with the text. The junior version caters to the boys and girls between 11-14 years and the senior version to that between 15-18 years (from GEP states, except Andhra Pradesh and Telengana).
The below mentioned tasks is to be performed by the consultant/firm in close discussion and coordination with the GEP point person and team are outlined as follows:
SCOPE OF WORK
- The consultant will be expected to conceptualize 4 junior and 4 senior issues of Periodical during the year.
- The GUPSHUP will be developed in line with the proposed themes agreed between Room to Read and the consultant. This theme may be conceptualized in discussion with the consultant and the consultant may also be required to give his/her input in identifying themes which will be relevant for both the girls and boys and will be instrumental in developing an understanding and commitment towards gender equality amongst the readers.
- Each GupShup to have an array of reading and interactive materials like stories, news, articles, puzzles, games, etc with one not exceeding 4 sides/pages
- The design and illustrations will be conceptualized by the agency such that each material is visually attractive, appealing and caters to adolescents.
- The whole conceptualization exercise will be done by the consultant/ firm independently based on the finalized themes and issues by RtR point person. Necessary support will be provided by Room to Read during the conceptualization exercise.
- The consultant is expected to create, develop and write the finalized relevant content in form of narrative, story lines or any other relevant form of the periodical, sort the letters received from the readers and type them for it to be a part of the Periodical. The consultant will create content for each section that will be finalized in consultation with RtR.
- The content should be gender transformational in a way that it should enable the readers to envision and visualize a gender equal world and go beyond gender stereotyping – to help them realize their own potential. The consultant will undertake content and copy editing and proof reading ensuring that the content is error free, relevant and is aligned to the GEP mandate and vision.
- The final designed version/dummy copy of the periodical will be checked and edited by the Consultant and necessary changes will be made by the consultant for printing as well as for online circulation in jpeg and pdf formats.
DESIGN AND ILLUTRATIONS
- The consultant will be responsible for high quality designing and laying out 4 Periodicals in a reader-friendly, creative, appealing and innovative manner and placing illustrations or photographs wherever appropriate, required and expected in a fun, interactive and adolescent friendly manner.
- The consultant will also be responsible for formatting and layout of the text including making text editions once the layout is done
- The consultant/firm is expected to conceptualize the ideas for the illustration that supplements the content and should be able to contribute to visualizations of gender equality and help in moving away from gender stereotyping child friendly and depict the Gupshup Mascots.
- The illustrations will be shared to the RtR point person and he/she will have the authority to approve the final illustrations.
- Preparing a print ready file of each Periodical. Designing and formatting will be in line with Room to Read’s branding guidelines
- Post the conceptualization exercise, the consultant/ firm will share a one pager note/ illustrative demo/ visual document of the envisioned final copy of the periodical for further discussion and finalization of the document.
- Final written and designed content of 4 junior and 4 senior issues of Periodical (in February, April , July, and October 2020) in Hindi proof read, typed, print ready and online versions and approved by RtR. The Hindi should be simple or easily understandable. Administrative Hindi should be avoided.
- Raw data i.e. All the entries, photographs and reference material used in the periodical to be handed over to RtR
- The number of illustrations may vary as per the content of the periodicals and these illustrations must go along with the text.
- The Consultant will share the final print ready version of the periodicals both in PDF and Open File (editable) in a CD and/or over mail to Room to Read. The print ready version and the online file shoud be of 9″x14″ (Height x Width) page size
- In case of any changes post the sharing of the final print ready version with the Printer (by RtR), the consultant/ firm might need to do all the edits and/ or changes in the format/ designing/ illustraitons etc.
The consultant will need to provide services to complete all the above tasks in a given timeframe as outlined in this ToR and as will be mutually agreed to during the contract finalization. The consultant will be expected to ideate on the kinds of material that can be created / put together and come to a final list in consultation and agreement with the point person at RtR. The qualities of the final product and the timely submission of outputs will be the key performance indicators.
The consultant will be expected to collect all the material that RtR will provide from RtR office premises. The consultant will also be required to come to office 2-3 times for each issue as and when requested by RtR point person if there arise conditions for further discussions on the content/design /illustration or any other.
Contributions from RtR:
- Provide entries received from the field, when applicable.
- Support in finalizing the designing and illustrations.
- Monitor the assignment
- Review, comment and approve the deliverables.
Note: For all of the above-mentioned scope of work there will be a minimum of 5-6 rounds of feedbacks and suggestions that will come from Room to Read and the consultant should be open to that.
Experience Needed for Assignment:
- Professional Consultant / firm with demonstrated experience in creating innovative content development relating to children, girl’s education and development issues.
- Knowledge and work experience on content development using innovative ways.
- Knowledge of current happenings on issues related to Girls Education, Life Skills education; and Family, School and Community engagement methods.
- Demonstrated experience in design and illustration of materials related to children, girl’s education and development issues.
- Creativity and innovation is a must.
- Ability to work independently and to meet the given deadlines and adhere to the RtR guidelines.
- Excellent in easy daily spoken Hindi.
The duration of the contract is from 1st February 2022 to 31st December 2022. However, RtR can terminate the agreement if the consultant is unable to revert on set timelines or the assignment is not upto mark as per then RtR expectations.
The working days will be spread over a period of not exceeding 45 days with mutual agreement between the consultant and RtR, as given below but not limited to:
February, April, July and November 2022.
HOW TO APPLY
- Kindly submit two separate files (1) TECHNICAL and (2) FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
- For submission of proposals, please mark to firstname.lastname@example.org [do not copy anyone from RtR]
- Last Date for the submission is November 20, 2022 EOD.
- Subject for submission of Proposal – “Proposal for GUPSHUP –GEP”
- The consultant/vendor/agency should apply with the following:
- FILE 1: TECHNICAL PROPOSAL
- A technical proposal which will outline the way this assignment will be approached.
- The proposal should mention the timeline for completing the deliverables. The technical proposal should include an outline of content and your approach for all the above-mentioned deliverables.
- Cite relevant work experience and give samples
- Detailed CV of all the consultants involved in this project
- FILE 2: FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
- Detailed financial proposal
- Copy of registration certificate, GST, PAN Card, etc.
- FILE 1: TECHNICAL PROPOSAL
- Read the ToR thoroughly before applying
- Pricing should include above requirements
- Shortlisted consultants/agency might be called for a face-to-face interaction with the panel
- Any incomplete application or process deviation, the proposals will automatically be rejected
Proposal received after the prescribed deadline will not be considered.
The TDS will be applicable on the consultancy fee.
Consultant/agency/individual will be expected to sign and abide the Child Protection policy of Room to Read.